Family Health Ministries (FHM) is a faith-based nonprofit organization dedicated to developing long-term relationships with underserved individuals, families and communities to help them help themselves in culturally-relevant ways.

Friday, September 17, 2010

"House for Sale"

Today, I went walking around Leogane just to get out and see the community. I walked the streets doing my best to stay out the way of the motto drivers. They sort of drive where ever they want on the road. You also have to keep an eye out for the tap tap drivers too. The reason I am walking in the street is because there aren’t a lot of sidewalks in Leogane. Anyway, as I was walking around I noticed this house that didn’t look like the typical house in Haiti. It looked more like a house you would find in the States. I saw a sign in front of it that read “Affordable Homes Around the World.” The sign also read “simple, effective, attractive, and Green.” When I saw the word “Green” I thought it meant energy efficient but after looking in the windows of the house I think it just meant the house is green. (See photo below). Of course, I was curious about the price so when I returned back to the guest house I called the number on the billboard to see if the house was indeed affordable. The price tag was 120,000. I asked if it was in Haitian Dollars and the man said “no, US dollars. If it had been Haitian dollars it would cost $15,000 US. This doesn’t really seem that affordable for Leogane, Haiti, but the man assured me it was a good price. I don’t think it’s going to be off the market anytime soon. I will let you know when it closes. Peace, Love, and Joy. Missy

No comments: