Family Health Ministries (FHM) is a faith-based nonprofit organization dedicated to developing long-term relationships with underserved individuals, families and communities to help them help themselves in culturally-relevant ways.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

"My Good Friend Carmen"

I just wanted to introduce you to my neighbor Carmen. She lives two houses over from me. I first met Carmen, I believe back in 2002, when I came down to Haiti with David Walmer and his Duke class. Carmen lives directly across from the Hospital St Croix. In 2002, we stayed at the Hospital Guesthouse and every monring and afternoon our little group would pass Carmen in front of her home. We would always say, "Bon jou or Bon swa" depending on the time of day to Carmen as we passed her home. One day she started yelling at us "BON jou, BON swa that is all you foreignors say don't you know anything else?"(translated to English) Of course, we didn't. We went over and tried to speak a little more with her. I asked to take her photo and she said yes as long as I made her a copy. I promised to make her a copy but could not promise when I could get it to her. She agreed. I am happy to say the photo was delivered to her about 3 years later. She was pleased to get it and happy I didn't forget. We have been friends ever since. I will get these photos to her in January 2011. If God wills. Peace, Love, and Joy. Missy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Missy,
glad you are doing well and that everyone is safe! I look forward to seeing you in June, Taina is begging to come spend time with you too!!! Elizabeth, Dave, Tai and Midlyne