Family Health Ministries (FHM) is a faith-based nonprofit organization dedicated to developing long-term relationships with underserved individuals, families and communities to help them help themselves in culturally-relevant ways.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

"Hurricane Tomas Strikes Leogane, Haiti"

Hurricane Tomas passed through Leogane last Thursday. In Leogane we didn't have strong winds but a lot of rain. The rain started at about 3:30 in the morning and I got up and looked out to see if there was flooding. No sign of flooding. At 5:30 am I checked again no sign of flooding. At 6:00 am I heard a lot of noise outside and there the streets were covered in water. My neighbor Carmen was evacated from her home as the water was entering her small home. She is doing fine and has returned to her home. The hospital was flooded and patients and equipment were moved up to the second floor. The water came quickly and was gone after a day and a half. Just a lot of clean up to do. No matter what happens the people of Haiti keep on going. They are survivors and they do what they do best and that is going about the business of living. My one friend, Cine who lost his leg after earthquake, said. "I can choose to lay down and die or to get up and live. I choose to live." May we all have that same drive. Peace, Love, and Joy. Missy


No comments: